August 12, 2013

obsessive stitching

Perhaps it's because my last several pieces were all on the small side and didn't have much machine work, all of a sudden I am being drawn to large scale and obsessive machine stitching. I got an idea in my head and as sometimes happens I could not wait to get it out and on some kind of substrate. First I thought I needed some vintage linen. But after rummaging through my stash, I found I did not have any in the right size range and I loath to cut into a larger size that I am saving up for something bigger and better, nor did I want to piece together some smaller pieces as that wouldn't have looked right. Luckily my recyclables bin was in my way and I decided to take a look there. Lo and behold! There they were! Two pieces of just the right size plastic packing/wrapping material that was destined for the landfill.
After spending a considerable chunk of time on the computer creating my stitching guide in Photoshop, I printed it out and got stitching. Then I could not stop. I kept coming back to add one more line and another and another.
I think I am pretty done with the first, now to rip away the guide and start adding color; the second seems to be demanding more and more detailed stitching. And if that's what it wants, then that is what it gets.
     
I'll see ya on the other side of the machine....

1 comment:

rossichka said...

It's so exciting - Inspiration is running ahead and you - after it, in a hurry, trying not to lose it from view! Obviously what has to happen, happens... So, don't take your hands off the sewing machine!:D It'll be interesting to see the result!